Friday 31 August 2012

Raw Oatmeal Cookies and Aug Foodie Penpals

It's my second month of participating in Foodie Pen Pals.  Not sure what this is?  Take a look here  After my first go around, I felt like a real pro.  I knew what I wanted to send this time (much lighter items!) and what I would request be sent to me if asked (local and healthy).  Well, I may have failed on both accounts.  I did request my items to be local, but I chuckled when the package arrived from a town not 30min away.  No wonder she didn't want to send local: we live in the same community!  Signing up for this program, I had fantasies of receiving products from coast to coast that one could not procure in my hometown.  Once I got over that disappointment, I was delighted to take a closer look at just what had been sent.  Firstly, I had never tried any of the products before, so that was pretty cool since I love trying new things.  Secondly, it was all very healthy and thoughtful with everything tasting great.  Most of the products were gluten free, which meant I could share them with my GF mom too.  I made these cookies with the GF granola she sent and the kids were thrilled that once again they received something just for them! I couldn't have asked for a better package and felt a little silly that I had ever felt let down that it was not coming from an exotic location.

There were two recipes for me to try, including these Raw Vegan Oatmeal cookies.  It was just the kind of cookie I've been wanting to make and nothing like any recipe I had on file.  Sweet success I'd say!  As for the package I sent, you might be able to read about it on Nicole's site.  Despite my best efforts to keep things light, I just couldn't resist a few heavier items.  My love of food will always trump my frugal attempt to save on postage.  If you think you'd like to give this a try, head over to Lindsay's site and sign up!

Raw Vegan Oatmeal Cookies

adapted from Boni's recipe card
2 Tbsp flax seeds
1/2 cup dates
1/3 cup walnuts
1//2 cup almond butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup agave nectar
3 cups oatmeal flakes
1 tsp cinnamon
In a blender, mix together flax seeds, dates and walnuts.  In a large bowl, mix together almond butter, milk, agave and vanilla.  Add oats and cinnamon and stir.  Add date/walnut mixture and stir until fully incorporated.  Shape into small balls or cookie shape and chill 1hr before serving.  Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's one loaded granola! I wish we had that here or else I haven't found it.

    ReplyDelete