Sunday 24 February 2013

Chocolate Chili Cranberry Scone




At this stage of the game, there are not too many babies in our life.  Most of our friends have kids close in age to our own and all of our nieces and nephews are way past baby stage.  It amazes me how fast time goes by and how quickly they all grow up.  I held a newborn boy the other day, just one day old.  As I looked down at this beautiful being my heart melted.  All wrinkled like an old man and a body still curled up like he's in his mama's belly, I was smitten.  We are so excited for our friends to become first time parents.  It's truly the best job on this earth.  Holding that baby reminded me just how fleeting time with them is and renewed once again, my desire to make every moment count.  Even when they drive me crazy with messy rooms and forgotten instructions.

I brought these scones to the new mom and dad along with a salad for lunch.  The thought of anyone eating a hospital meal is a scary one, let alone someone I want to heal and be nourished.  A few notes about the recipe: The first time I made them I was nervous about how much cayenne to put in.  I erred on the conservative side and with 1/4 tsp, the spicy flavour is just barely present.  The second time around I used 1/2 tsp and I thought the spice was just right.  This is the amount in the recipe below.  You could increase even more if you want the spicy flavour to dominate.  Also, if you get your hands on some Chili Chocolate they work perfectly in adding another layer of heat.

Chocolate Chili Cranberry Scone

adapted from Bon Appetit

1 1/2 cup barley flour
1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/3 cup cane sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
7 Tbsp chilled unsalted butter, diced
1/2 tsp cayenne  (could use less 1/4tsp; or more 3/4 tsp)
3/4 cup chopped dark chocolate (optional: use chili flavoured) 
3/4 cup coarsely chopped dried cranberries
2/3 cup milk
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 
Preheat oven to 375degrees.  In a food processor, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cayenne.  Add diced butter and pulse until mixed into pea sized pieces of butter.  In separate bowl, whisk together milk, egg yolk and vanilla.  With processor running, add liquid from bowl and mix until it just starts to come together.  Gather dough into a ball and place on a floured surface.  Press dough out into a circle about 1" thick.  Cut into eight triangles.  Bake on a parchment lined sheet for 15-20min until edges are golden.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Made these for Ivan this morning for his bday, I asked if it reminded him of being in the hospital (it didn't)... but it sure did for me! Its been almost a year and I've intended to make these so many times! I used all AP flour, its all I had. Later this morning, I re-read your post, and you are right this year was fleeting, cannot believe it is coming to and end.

    ReplyDelete