Tuesday 1 January 2013

The Best of 2012


2012 has been a wild ride here at the Kale Eats household.  I can hardly wait to see what 2013 will bring!  Both our kids have travelling plans this summer and we are excited to see what other opportunities may present itself.  One last look back at 2012 with the top ten posts on this site.  Some surprises along the way, but interesting to see what all of you like to see here on the site.  The one that didn't make the list is my Sweet Potato Muffins.  The online world may not have loved these, but I can tell you it's the one recipe I know my friends make the most.  It is often a snack served at work during coffee break and I never bake them myself.  The recipe is at the bottom.




Number 10: Forbidden Black Rice Salad with Mango: We've made this salad many times, all year long. Using ingredients that are neither seasonal or local makes it easy to make no matter what the calendar says. Of course, that's the same reason I feel guilty making this in the summer when I'm surrounded with Ontario's produce.  I imagine this will taste great mid-winter when the grocery shelves are full of ripe mangoes.


Number 9: Smokey Black Bean and Corn Salad: A summer time classic that makes it way to many a BBQ and on more than a few taco chips. I'll be earmarking this for July 2013 for sure!

Number 8: Cauliflower Curry with Rhubarb Chutney: This chutney remains one of my standout favourites of the year. Long after we had made this curry we were topping our cheese and crackers with this savoury spread. Got some frozen rhubarb around? Do yourself a favour and make some!

Number 7: Southwest Sandwich: Ahhh... Don's favourite! I've made it on foccacia bread and cut into little triangles for an appetizer at parties. It's a weekend staple when Don is choosing the menu and it tastes great on the panini grill too.

Number 6: Parsley and Barley Salad: This humble Ottolenghi salad is a lunchtime favourite for me. Make it on Sunday night and pop it in containers for the week. I usually hide it in the back behind the condiments so Don doesn't see it and take for himself.

Number 5: White Bean Cakes topped with Kale: My friends and family tell me they make this one all the time. Easy to make in advance and a meal all in one, it's a winner in my books too.

Number 4: Asian Pork Snack Wraps: So glad one of my posts about Recipe to Riches made it on here. That was a highlight of 2012 in the food department around here. Will 2013 be my year??

Number 3: Savoury Curry Granola: Santa delivered this package to more than a few people this season. My new favourite soup topping, this adds the perfect amount of heft to make my lunchtime soup filling enough to get me through the afternoon.

Number 2: Speculoos Brownies: As a global ingredient, I suppose it's not surprising to see Speculoos so close to the top. The words "speculoos brownies" are the most searched on this site.   I've used this frosting on the sweet potato muffins and molasses cookies. It will make people hunt you down at a party and ask: what is in that frosting?!


Number 1: Pomegranate Salsa Crostini: Seems funny to be talking about this one so soon after posting it. In fact, I think I might go make this one right now. If it's number one for all of you, then it must be something worth repeating.
Thanks for reading this year and looking forward to sharing lots from the kitchen in 2013. 
Happy New Year.

Sweet Potato Muffins

1¾ cups of spelt flour
½ teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup maple syrup
1 tbsp ground flax
1 cup sweet potatoes (steamed)
½ cup coconut oil, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
Preheat oven to 350degrees.
Microwave or steam one large sweet potato. Mash sweet potato and measure one cup. Reserve any extras for another use. In a blender mix together until smooth sweet potato, maple syrup, flax seed, coconut oil, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. (see note above about skipping blender).
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Pour in wet ingredients and mix until combined. Pour 1/4 cup batter into each lined muffin pan. Makes about 16 muffins.
Bake 25-30min until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on baking rack.
Wanna make them into cupcakes? Try this frosting or better yet? Use this batter for doughnuts and use the frosting on those too. Enjoy!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment