Sunday 2 June 2013

Asparagus Cashew Soup

It's been a quiet weekend here in Kale Eats kitchen.  Jos was off camping with a youth group and Don was working.  That left just Luke and I to fend for ourselves.  We spent some time bickering about what to do.  He was happy to lay on the couch and play video games.  I thought we should go outside and enjoy the weather.  Eventually he decided he wanted to go across town and play tennis with some friends.  I said, "sure, let's go!"  Excited to get outdoors I was already putting my shoes on when he dropped the next sentences: "I think I can go without you mom. Just the kids can go. Not to worry, you don't need to get over protective." 
When our children are wee babes we measure their milestones ever so closely.  First smiles, first big laughs, first steps and first words.  I don't keep track of too many of "firsts" with Luke anymore, but if I let him go without me to tennis, it would be a first.  He called his friends and the other parents agreed it was okay.  I helped him cross the busy main street and watched him walk away, tennis racquet in hand.  Don sent his cell phone with him (guess we are a little overprotective) with instructions to call if someone was hurt or if things felt creepy.  Two hours went by before he called.  I was ready for the rescue, for his fear to have sunk in or to provide first aid.  Instead, he called to tell me they were bored of tennis but didn't want to come home yet.  Could they climb some trees or go back to another friend's house?  When he came home later he was full of pride.  He asked what I did while he was gone and I casually mentioned this asparagus soup I made.  I didn't tell him that it took every ounce of my being to not show up at that park.  I didn't tell him I had walked to the library (which is about half way to the park) with every hope of running into them.  I peaked across the river to see if the tennis courts were visible (they're not) and I worried my little heart out! 
 
We quit writing in Luke's baby book a long time ago.  It's on a dusty bookshelf somewhere, likely with half the information missing.  In a time of parenting when each day just blends into the next, yesterday was one that made me stop and notice this milestone.  It might not make it into the baby book but it sure broke my heart a little.
 
One year ago: Rhubarb Iced Tea
 

 Asparagus Cashew Soup

Notes: The cashew cream requires you to start the night before by soaking the cashews, so plan ahead.  I used a homemade broth, so when it came to salting the finished dish it required a heavy hand.  Be sure to taste yours before salting.

adapted from Whole Foods to Thrive

3 Tbsp coconut oil
2 cups chopped asparagus
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onions
1 tsp cumin
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup Cashew Cream (see below)
2 cups chopped spinach
sea salt and pepper

In a large pot on medium heat, melt coconut oil.  Add onion and celery and saute until softened; about 5min.  Add asparagus and cumin and cook 5 min more.  Add the broth and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 30min.  Add the cashew cream (recipe below) and cook another 10min.  Add the spinach and allow to cool for a couple minutes before blending.
Working in batches, puree in blender until smooth.  Taste and season with salt/pepper.  Serve with an extra drizzle of cashew cream.  Enjoy!

Cashew Cream
Put 3/4 cup whole raw cashews in a bowl and cover with cold water.  Refrigerate overnight.
Drain the cashews and rinse with cold water.  Place in a blender and add water to just cover nuts.  Blend on high for 2-4min until very smooth.




No comments:

Post a Comment