Sunday 14 July 2013

Turkey Mango Salad

Home alone, I started watching old home videos the other night.  I think we both know, if you're missing someone like crazy, the worst thing you can do is immerse yourself in their image.  Or maybe not?  I had a lot of good laughs and a few tears watching them grow up on the screen. One particular gem was of Luke's 4th birthday.  He happily opens a present from big sister Josilin.  When Luke was younger, he desperately wanted video games.  I was adamant that he would not own one unless he bought it himself.  Hindsight sure makes me sound like a mean mom, but it made sense at the time.  Josilin has always loved Luke to death and even then she knew is deep want of video games.  So much so, when we had been at a garage sale a few weeks before, she purchased a PS1 for him, at cost of $1.

I wish I could show you the video of Luke opening that PS1.  He becomes incredibly excited, only to hear his sister say, "now just so you know.  That is a garage sale video game, so it might not work.  But don't you feel happy looking at it?"  I guess it is the thought that counts!  Watching it I felt like the worst mom ever.  The pure joy on Luke's face that is quickly replaced with fear it wont work.  You'll be happy to know that PS1 worked for a couple years before Luke had enough cash to buy himself a Wii.  Santa took care of a PS3 a few years later, so I guess I mellowed on all that video game business.  I don't have a memory of testing that system before we gave it to him, but I hope I did.  Surely I can't be that cruel?

 
 
We pick Josilin up from the airport today and I'm bringing the video camera.  I want to capture that face and those words for the future and more importantly, for the next time she leaves us.  Our last lunch without kids is something they would have ate anyway.  So much for my plan to only make food they wouldn't want to eat.  Two weeks is a long time to keep that up and Jos likes a lot of food.  Don loved this salad; called it more of a "man's salad", if there is such a thing.  Texturally it reminded me of taco salad from my youth but the flavours are Asian inspired.   Tasted great outside on a patio with the sun shining.
 


 Turkey Mango Salad

adapted from Turkey Farmers of Ontario

1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 lb ground lean turkey
2 Tbsp fresh ginger
1 Tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp Sriracha sauce
2 Tbsp lime juice
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp sugar
2 mangoes, peeled and sliced
1 red pepper, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
1 cup fresh spinach

In a cast iron pan, heat turkey and sesame oil on medium high heat, until almost cooked through.  Drain any fat from pan (I had none).  Add ginger, fish sauce and Sriracha sauce and stir in.  Remove from heat when turkey is fully cooked through (no pink).
In a small bowl, combine lime juice, salt, sugar and red onion.  Reserve.
In a large bowl, combine mangoes, peppers, mint.  Add turkey, onions and lime juice.  Place about 1/4 cup of spinach on four plates,  Top with turkey mixture and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment