Tuesday 13 March 2012

Almost famous


It was only a matter of time I suppose.  All these years of blog reading would eventually lead to me writing my own.  I love going back to the very first post of my favourite blogs.  It's always awkward and not the least like their current writings.  So I suppose, that is how it will begin.  Clunky and awkward and perhaps move forward to something different.


 This past month has been almost full with Recipe to Riches.  It started with perfecting a recipe.  This was followed by the excitement of a telephone interview.  Soon questionnaires were emailed and an audition time was given.  I was before the judges, given a gold ticket, background check done... and almost famous.  The news that I was not successful was like a blow to the stomach.  Along the journey, a co-worker gave me a fresh rosemary plant as a congratulatory gift.  Now that the dust has settled and my claim to fame as passed by, it's time to put that plant to use.

These Grapefruit Rosemary Cookies are a like a warm spring day.  They burst with freshness and subtle savoury flavours.  I was inspired to make these with memories of a fantastic Grapefruit Zucchini with Sunflower Seeds muffin I once had.  Mostly these cookies are about me getting back in the kitchen and finding joy in unexpected places.

Grapefruit Rosemary  Cookies with Grapefruit Buttercream
1 c butter
3/4 c succanat
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp grated grapefruit zest
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp salt
2 c flour
1/4 c whole wheat pastry flour

Beat the succanat and butter together until fluffy.  Add the vanilla and egg till blended.  Then add the grapefruit zest, rosemary, salt and flours.  Mix thoroughly.
Divide the dough in 2 portions.  Roll into log and wrap in plastic wrap.  Chill in fridge for approximately 1 hr minimum.
Preheat oven to 375F.  Take the logs out of fridge and cut into 1/3" slices and place on parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake for approx 12 min.  Cool on wire rack

Grapefruit Buttercream Icing
adapted from cake central
1/2 c fresh grapefruit juice
1/4 c butter
1 sprig rosemary
2 Tbsp grapefruit zest
2 c icing sugar

In a small saucepan combine grapefruit juice,  and rosemary.  Bring to a boil and reduce to approx 1/8cup.  Strain juice and cool.  Beat together butter, grapefruit zest and thickened juice.  Gradually add icing sugar until desired consistency achieved.Once cookies have cooled.  Smear a layer of icing between two cookies and piece together. 
Makes approx 30 cookies.


3 comments:

  1. CATHERINE!!! love your blog!!! lovely food and recipes and writing! :) I'm so glad you decided to do this finally. You have lots of wisdom to offer and so much experience. I am also thankful for the hand pie recipe. :) will whip that one up soon. looking forward to following your entries, my friend. Congrats on this new journey. Hope it is a rewarding one for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cookies are unique! I never came across a grapefruit rosemary cookie before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eftychia! I do hope you try them and let me know if you do. They are a fave of mine

      Delete