Saturday 31 March 2012

Lemongrass Kale Salad


 I'm feeling a little under the weather today.  Whenever I'm feeling ill I inevitably try to think of the food that will heal me.  I'm not sure if it's the healing properties of fresh food that makes me feel better or just the placebo effect of believing it will.  Either way, this is a fine tasting salad that is quickly pulled together.


I've been eating a lot of different raw kale salad lately.  I love Tuscan kale (aka dino kale, black kale and lacinato kale)- enough names already!  I used some nice Asian flavours that will develop with time.  It can be made hours ahead of time and travels easily.



The dressing uses some fresh lemongrass, which is not always easy to find.  You could substitute the "herbs in a tube" lemongrass in the dressing.  I topped this with some unsweetened coconut because I had some on hand, but I'm not sure it added that much flavour.  What do you eat when you're feeling under the weather?


 Lemongrass Kale Salad
1 bunch kale
1 carrot
1 stalk lemongrass
1 lime
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp coconut milk
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cucumber
1 Tbsp fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped cashews
1 Tbsp unsweetened coconut (optional)

 Assembly:
Remove kale leaves from ribs and finely chop.  Grate carrot and toss with kale leaves.  Finely chop only the tender inner leaves of the lemongrass.  Reserve lemongrass outer leaves for another use.. Combine lemongrass, juice of 1 lime, coconut milk and olive oil.  I used an immersion blender to mix these ingredients, but as long as the lemongrass is minced, you could just whisk together.  Toss dressing with kale/carrots.  Allow to sit minimum 30min, but up to 6 hours.  Top with chopped cilantro, cashews and coconut. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment