Wednesday 1 May 2013

Cherry Lemon Scone

We've been helping my mom pack up and move the last few weekends.  Lost in time, we've recovered letters from old boyfriends, VHS tapes of programs we taped, Christmas gifts from 1939 and more than a few things that should have been thrown out 20yrs ago.  It is time for her to move on to new experiences in a smaller home with less of everything.  Less rooms to clean, less empty space to feel, less memories and daily reminders of who was lost from that home.

Change is not easy for me. Although I am paid everyday to assist people with adjusting to change and easing the pain of the changes they face, it is harder to apply this to myself. Our head knows one thing but our heart feels another. Perhaps it is this empathy that makes my professional self able to nudge people toward facing their own changes.  Faced with similar circumstances, I don't know if I could make that leap. What courage and bravery she exhibits. I suppose we never know what we are capable of until faced with change we did not schedule or anticipate. 
I wish I could tell you these scones were found on an old recipe card lurking in the bottom of a drawer in her house.  In actuality, what I found in the cookbook drawer was a page full of instructions on how to use the microwave.  Highlights included "remove foil before heating tv dinner" and "cook wiener first and then heat up bun." Growing up in the eighties was surely a culinary disaster for more kids than just me. Perhaps I am better at change than I suspect? Certainly it has not been so hard when it comes to food for our family. When Don and I leave this old house (20 years from now?) it will be hard for Jos and Luke, but in the meantime I'm looking forward to filling it with good memories and scents of baking scones.


One Year Ago: White Bean Cakes with kale

Cherry Lemon Scone

notes: They taste best once they are cooled completely and on the day they are baked.  I make these the night before and refrigerate overnight to bake in the morning.  They also freeze well unbaked.
You could use all spelt flour or even whole wheat.  I like the combination of flours to provide depth of flavour and texture.

adapted from Gourmet

1 cup spelt flour
1/2 cup barley flour
1/2 cup rye flour
2 Tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
8 Tbsp cold butter, cubed
1 cup dried cherries
3/4 cup milk
1 egg (separated)
1 Tbsp lemon zest

2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup icing sugar
pinch of salt (about 1/8 tsp)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a food processor pulse together flours, baking powder, sugar and salt.
Add butter and continue to pulse about 10 times, until butter is size of peas.
In a small bowl, combine milk, egg yolk and lemon zest.  With food processor running, add wet mixture until dough starts to form.  Add dried cherries and pulse a couple times mores, careful to not over mix or chop up cherries too much.
Remove dough onto floured surface and knead until cherries are incorporated.  Divide into two round balls and flatten into two discs about 4" wide.  Lightly beat egg white in a small bowl and brush on tops of scones.  Cut into six wedges, but do not separate them. 
Bake for 15-20min, until edges are browned.  Remove to a cooling rack and drizzle with glaze. (instructions below for glaze).  After 10min, separate scones with knife and enjoy!
Glaze: whisk together icing sugar and lemon juice.  Add pinch of salt.  If too runny, add a little more icing sugar.



No comments:

Post a Comment